The Couch

Meaning - Reason - Purpose?

Comments on Meaning - Reason - Purpose?

Monk2400
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 19, 2005

Total Topics: 116
Total Comments: 1518
Posted 08/29/07 - 11:47 AM:

The creative act, expression. Because when it is absent, I feel unfulfilled.

Family, nurturing, support. The hearth, wind undr fire. But I wondr if this is sentiment. Anyway, its my cornstone, as least in mind.

Outside the act of creating, the act of thinking about creating (imagining), and the small acts of supporting family, usually by presence alone, my life has no meaning, reason, or purpose. At best I hold out to discovr more mysteries, at worst I continue on to gratify more desires.

I pray that at the end of it all, though, that the Most High will have found expression in me and thereby leveragd my drives to effect some good eithr on a broadr scale or a more intense degree. But for that meaning, I can only leave to history, if it chooses to pass judgment on me.

cheers,

8)
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
Posted 08/29/07 - 3:18 PM:

i feel a strong sense of purpose when doing symbol interpretation (tarot, handwriting, dreams), and also when i'm at work as an office manager. these are things i feel i'm good at, and i feel good doing them.

i find meaning in my art, and art in general. storytelling, painting & singing are 3 arts i especially enjoy.

love, more than anything, gives me a reason for being. how it expresses through everyday kindnesses. how it expresses through various relationships; romantic love, love for my family, love for my friends. i love love! love, and good music!

smiling facelib
e.
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 19, 2005
Location: UK

Total Topics: 142
Total Comments: 1081
Avatar e.
Posted 08/29/07 - 5:02 PM:

Hi David and folks,

Well, I have done a lot of intellectualising in my life, but these days I'm happy just to get a cuddle. That's where meaning lies for me just now.

It's not that the intellectual quest wasn't worth it, or fulfilling enough, it's just a time of life I guess.

e.
e.
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 19, 2005
Location: UK

Total Topics: 142
Total Comments: 1081
Avatar e.
Posted 08/29/07 - 5:03 PM:

libertygrl wrote:
love, more than anything, gives me a reason for being. how it expresses through everyday kindnesses. how it expresses through various relationships; romantic love, love for my family, love for my friends. i love love! love, and good music!smiling facelib


I'll second that emotion.


clapclap

e.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 05/08/09 - 1:52 AM:

Midnight_Monk wrote:

Outside the act of creating, the act of thinking about creating (imagining), and the small acts of supporting family, usually by presence alone, my life has no meaning, reason, or purpose. At best I hold out to discovr more mysteries, at worst I continue on to gratify more desires.




Meaning and purpose aren't inherent in existence but rather creation of human intellect.If 'meaning' is creation of humanity then surely it can not be same for everyone.Yet meaning is bound to be some how related to pleasure.Not all of the guys find meaning of their lives in creation OR assuming responsibilities yet many do.Meaning is not necessary for 'existence' but merely a necessity for 'happiness'.So we all, depending on our education/wisdom/learning etc OR say depending on upbringing and conditioning/programming interpret 'meanings' and assume(or not assume) that "Yes this is the true purpose of life"----while there is no 'true' purpose of life because due to lack of inherent purpose--all purposes are equally 'true'.



smiling face Thank You smiling face
cogitoergosum
New

Usergroup: Members
Joined: May 11, 2009

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 3
Posted 05/11/09 - 5:48 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:



Meaning and purpose aren't inherent in existence but rather creation of human intellect.If 'meaning' is creation of humanity then surely it can not be same for everyone.Yet meaning is bound to be some how related to pleasure.Not all of the guys find meaning of their lives in creation OR assuming responsibilities yet many do.Meaning is not necessary for 'existence' but merely a necessity for 'happiness'.So we all, depending on our education/wisdom/learning etc OR say depending on upbringing and conditioning/programming interpret 'meanings' and assume(or not assume) that "Yes this is the true purpose of life"----while there is no 'true' purpose of life because due to lack of inherent purpose--all purposes are equally 'true'.



smiling face Thank You smiling face



well put.
Without purpose, we would have no intention, and consciousness is the greatest advocate of intention and therefore as long as we are conscious...our minds are going to be driven by intention, and those intentions are in perpetual search for purpose; anything as minute as catching the bus to anything as abstract as complex as becoming the person we desire to be, these are of course all ways of giving our lives purpose. Truly I cannot argue with your statement because I hold the same believes and I too agree that there is no real purpose...purpose only exists in the human mind...
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 05/11/09 - 9:15 PM:

cogitoergosum wrote:

well put.


Thank You.You are welcome cogitoergosumzen



cogitoergosum wrote:

Without purpose, we would have no intention, and consciousness is the greatest advocate of intention and therefore as long as we are conscious...our minds are going to be driven by intention, and those intentions are in perpetual search for purpose; anything as minute as catching the bus to anything as abstract as complex as becoming the person we desire to be, these are of course all ways of giving our lives purpose. Truly I cannot argue with your statement because I hold the same believes and I too agree that there is no real purpose...purpose only exists in the human mind...



Indeed.Consciousness--In philosophical and scientific discussion however, the term is restricted to a more precise meaning related to the specific way in which humans are mentally aware in such a way that they distinguish clearly between themselves (the thing being aware) and all other things and events.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness).So consciousness is duality,therefore it is an illusion of separation and hence all that running for attaining our purposes.zen



Thank You


praxis
Senior Member

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 18, 2007

Total Topics: 3
Total Comments: 378
praxis
Posted 05/12/09 - 3:31 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:


... there is no 'true' purpose of life because due to lack of inherent purpose--all purposes are equally 'true'.


By the same logic, all purposes are equally false. confused
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 05/13/09 - 3:22 AM:

praxis wrote:


By the same logic, all purposes are equally false. confused



Indeed.zen
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.



Acknowledgements:

Couch logo design by Midnight_Monk. The photo hanging above the couch was taken by Paul.

Powered by WSN Forum. Free smileys here.
Special thanks to Maria Cristina, Jesse , Echolist Directory, The Star Online,
Hosting Free Webs, and dmoz.org for referring visitors to this site!

Copyright notice:

Except where noted otherwise, copyright belongs to respective authors
for artwork, photography and text posted in this forum.