The Couch

nothing new under the sun

Comments on nothing new under the sun

thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#26 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/07/13 - 8:15 PM:

Damn right! I ain't got no reasonin' Just try reasonin' with an ornery 3 year old, ya gets out of practice.

We were watching a Violin Concerto and I was telling her what all the instruments were in the orchestra. She kept calling the solo violin a flute till I started calling it a fiddle, and then she corrected me and said it was a violin.
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#27 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/08/13 - 12:43 AM:

One more post, doc... Please make one more post and let me enjoy my little bit of insanity. 665... it's just too odd... Make it even!

And tell your three year old grandchild some random person from the internet says:
"I have not met you, but I love you!"

Seriously though... a child's sense of rational is amazing. whee

-Kin
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#28 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/08/13 - 8:15 AM:

I really believe that the ability to conceive of and carry out a joke or prank is an indication of intelligence.

One day the 3 year old grandaughter was with a friend and would tell her she was wet when she wasn't, and then laugh about it. A few days later she was with me and came over and said she had just pooped, (she was still in diapers). She must have just passed gas because she smelled like she had just pooped. So I picked her up and carried her back into her room and she was just as serious about getting changed as ever. I laid her down, pulled off her pants, and then opened her diaper, which was clean and dry. I said "You didn't poop", and she started laughing, crawling around the bed, and saying "That funny". laughing

I also have a 7 year old grandson who I have taken care of since he was born, and at 3 years and 10 months, I potty trained him in 3 days. One day I was driving his father to work and the grandson was with us, we were talking about where you get some kind of food, and he insisted you get it from the grocery store. We kept pressing him about where does the grocery store get it, we were saying a farm but he disagreed. Finally he just said "It's too far away, you can't see it". nod
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#29 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/08/13 - 9:55 AM:

Doc, you are awesome... Just had to say it. heart

laughing
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#30 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/08/13 - 1:38 PM:

just for hery ...no fake photos henry just a GENUINE astronaught taliking on a genuine video about his personal enconters with u-f-os http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cec_1216947407

Edited by SUNLIGHT on 08/08/13 - 1:48 PM
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#31 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/08/13 - 7:57 PM:

No offense to him, but he's easily old enough to be suffering from serious dementia. Also, he has no proof just his story.

Moreover, using a vehicle that functions at lightspeed is pretty much suicide. Anything could go wrong and no one would have the capacity to fix it at the same rate the spacecraft was moving. Nor would they be able to direct where it goes once it starts moving.

Even a method of space-folding like in the saga of Dune was only made possible when guided by beings with prophetic qualities.
(Good series, by the way. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it).

thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#32 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/08/13 - 9:12 PM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:
No offense to him, but he's easily old enough to be suffering from serious dementia. Also, he has no proof just his story.

Moreover, using a vehicle that functions at lightspeed is pretty much suicide. Anything could go wrong and no one would have the capacity to fix it at the same rate the spacecraft was moving. Nor would they be able to direct where it goes once it starts moving.

Even a method of space-folding like in the saga of Dune was only made possible when guided by beings with prophetic qualities.
(Good series, by the way. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it).



If you do the math, Brian is just as old and subject to the same problems, which might explain a lot.

Most Sci-Fi travel at or above light speed involves some distortion of space and the proper calculation of the trajectory.

The Pilots in 'Dune' were not only 'Prophetic' but on drugs as well, derived from the 'Sand Worms. The same drug that gave Paul his ability to see after he was blinded and to see the future.

I read some of the first of the series, many years ago, but not to the end of the series.
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#33 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/08/13 - 9:15 PM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:

No offense to him, but he's easily old enough to be suffering from serious dementia. Also, he has no proof just his story.



It seems that with most, if not all, of these accounts of extraterrestrials there is only the story and no physical evidence. Odd that?
henry quirk
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Location: here

Total Topics: 47
Total Comments: 1298
#34 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/09/13 - 8:35 AM:

"Just try reasonin' with an ornery 3 year old..."

...or a stubborn seven year old...HA!
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#35 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/09/13 - 2:01 PM:

henry quirk wrote:
"Just try reasonin' with an ornery 3 year old..."

...or a stubborn seven year old...HA!



My 3 year old grandaughter has a 7 year old brother that I take care of as well, so I got that covered too. I tell him to do something and he will stand there and argue about it. I think he might get away with it with others, but I just out-stubborn him. I understand that each situation is different and you need to choose your battles, but once you've made a decision you should 'stand your ground', on principle if nothing else.
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#36 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/09/13 - 3:24 PM:

QUOTE THE DOC you do the math, Brian is just as old and subject to the same problems, which might explain a lot :..........and what would explain the fact that you think ypou know more than paul and peter doc .. H H M ? ..senile dementia laughing
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#37 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/09/13 - 3:39 PM:

QUOTE HENRY QUIRK : (not a one of you is worth liftin' a finger for.........That should please EVERYBODY henry grin
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#38 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/09/13 - 3:52 PM:

SUNLIGHT wrote:
QUOTE THE DOC you do the math, Brian is just as old and subject to the same problems, which might explain a lot :..........and what would explain the fact that you think ypou know more than paul and peter doc .. H H M ? ..senile dementia laughing


-sighs- I doubt that's what doc thinks at all. (Though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, doc.) Doc justs knows better than to trust material when there's little or no evidence behind it.

Personally, I doubt there is a god. I doubt extraterrestrial life resides on this planet. I doubt sunlight is here to philosophize. However, I never said: "There is no god", "there is no extraterrestrial life on this planet", or even "Sunlight is not here to philosophize". Everything I stated was not as fact but as a guess. An educated guess, but a guess nonetheless.

I try not to word things as facts because I do not believe in facts. (Which is not the same as saying 'facts do not exist', might I add.) However, I slip up. When confronted with one who is unwilling to give an inch and would seemingly rather attempt to force the other to see things exactly as the one sees it, people get frustrated. When people are frustrated, people slip up more.

Let us grow up and move on. I'd rather do that than face the wrath of libertygrl... sticking out tongue

-Kin
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#39 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/09/13 - 3:59 PM:

henry quirk wrote:
Jeez, but this is gettin' tiresome.

To lay all this horseshit to rest, I announce here that I, Henry Quirk, am what you friggin' earthers would call 'alien'.

My 'kind' has been comin' to your stupid little planet for a godawful long time...we don't come to conquer (you folks got nuthin' we want or need), we don't come to help (not a one of you is worth liftin' a finger for), we don't come to study or research (we know just about everything there is to know about anything you care to name).

We, my 'kind', come here for vacations...Earth is like a big old water park and zoo and funhouse and freakshow all rolled up into one package.

Now: my 'kind' is long-lived, so, 'vacation' for any of us, is a decades long event...me -- for example -- I got another 100, mebbe 150, years before I'm outta traveler's checks and have to head home.

Anywho: yes, Brian is right, 'we are here' (not to help or hurt or study, but just to kick back and enjoy the show).

'nuff said


Sun wrote:
QUOTE HENRY QUIRK : (not a one of you is worth liftin' a finger for.........That should please EVERYBODY henry grin


I doubt anyone can please everyone. I also doubt henry's aim has anything to do with pleasing everybody. Also, when I look at the quote in its full context, it doesn't displease me at all... I actually am pleased to see that someone else agrees humanity isn't worth it.

-Kin
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#40 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/09/13 - 5:49 PM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:

I doubt anyone can please everyone. I also doubt henry's aim has anything to do with pleasing everybody. Also, when I look at the quote in its full context, it doesn't displease me at all... I actually am pleased to see that someone else agrees humanity isn't worth it.
-Kin



I think I would disagree with this in principle, while there is a vast majority of humanity that is not worth lifting a finger to save, there are some who have value to me. When I put my grandaughter down for a nap, and later lay down on the couch myself, she will get up, come out and crawl up on the couch and lay down on top of me. Then she tells me that she really likes to lay down on top of me and snuggle with me. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and I can see where there is some value in humanity.

Talk to me when you have had a similar experience, till then I don't think your opinion will be valid.
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#41 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/09/13 - 6:11 PM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:


-sighs- I doubt that's what doc thinks at all. (Though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, doc.) Doc justs knows better than to trust material when there's little or no evidence behind it.

Personally, I doubt there is a god. I doubt extraterrestrial life resides on this planet. I doubt sunlight is here to philosophize. However, I never said: "There is no god", "there is no extraterrestrial life on this planet", or even "Sunlight is not here to philosophize". Everything I stated was not as fact but as a guess. An educated guess, but a guess nonetheless.

I try not to word things as facts because I do not believe in facts. (Which is not the same as saying 'facts do not exist', might I add.) However, I slip up. When confronted with one who is unwilling to give an inch and would seemingly rather attempt to force the other to see things exactly as the one sees it, people get frustrated. When people are frustrated, people slip up more.

Let us grow up and move on. I'd rather do that than face the wrath of libertygrl... sticking out tongue

-Kin



Actually Libertygirl is reasonable enough, My mother had Senile Dementia so I know what it looks like and Brian39 fits.

I agree that there is a big difference between believing in something, and knowing facts, but many confuse the two and think that what they believe is a fact. For myself I have gotten beyond that and understand that there are some things that I believe and accept as true without evidence, and other things that have been proven as true by the weight of evidence. It might sound odd but the reading and studying of Buddhism gave me a more clear understanding of Christianity and an appreciation of what is in the Bible. Reading Joseph Campbell on Mythology added a lot to my understanding and interpretation as well. I would recommend Campbell and D. T. Suzuki as good reading material, if you haven't already.
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#42 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/10/13 - 8:05 AM:

QUOTE THE DOC It might sound odd but the reading and studying of Buddhism gave me a more clear understanding of Christianity and an appreciation of what is in the Bible.......................And doid your study of buddism lead you to believe that the apstle PAUL and the apostle peter were wrong in what they wrote doc and did your apreciation of what is written in the bible lead you to state that the APOSTLE PAULS writings did much harm to christianity , h m m , have you now become wise in YOUR OWN eyes now and dont need the teachings of those sent by GOD to instreuct us ..think agaion doc

Edited by SUNLIGHT on 08/10/13 - 8:27 AM
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#43 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/10/13 - 8:21 AM:

QUOTE KinNaokO90: Personally, I doubt there is a god........Millions of christians will disagree with you , not to mention JEWS and hindhus and others but if GOD has chosen not to convince you of his presence then that is his will
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#44 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/11/13 - 12:47 AM:

thedoc wrote:

I think I would disagree with this in principle, while there is a vast majority of humanity that is not worth lifting a finger to save, there are some who have value to me.


-sighs- I'm sorry, doc. I, too, have people I care about. My crazy friends, their children (for those who have them), various mentors (educators, counselors), and my parents (though at times I hate to admit it) are all people I would lift a finger for (and have done more than that). I actually was referring to the majority of our kind and not humankind as a whole. I do, however, realize I stated it as the latter. That was my mistake.
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#45 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/11/13 - 1:01 AM:

thedoc wrote:


Actually Libertygirl is reasonable enough,



It was a joke. XD I absolutely adore her. I was raving to a few friends about this forum and my friends on it. Unfortunately, those friends are familiar with my philosophical rampages and I think that turned them off to joining us. -pouts-

thedoc wrote:


It might sound odd but the reading and studying of Buddhism gave me a more clear understanding of Christianity and an appreciation of what is in the Bible. Reading Joseph Campbell on Mythology added a lot to my understanding and interpretation as well. I would recommend Campbell and D. T. Suzuki as good reading material, if you haven't already.



It doesn't sound odd at all to me... but then again I myself am quite odd. I will make it a point to add those authors to my "to read" list. I also plan on reading more on Buddhism as it has always fascinated me.

-Kin

KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#46 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/11/13 - 1:29 AM:

SUNLIGHT wrote:
........Millions of christians will disagree with you , not to mention JEWS and hindhus and others but if GOD has chosen not to convince you of his presence then that is his will


Sun... I hate to break it to you, but similar things were said about the earth being round, about the earth not being the center of the universe, and about Jesus Christ being a fraud (Mind you I doubt Jesus was the son of any god but I do believe a man by the name of Jesus existed who was extremely wise). Also, I believe the number of people would be in the billions not millions. If it is in the millions, then I am afraid the vast majority of humankind leans towards my point of view on this matter. Though, I wouldn't mind people siding with me from time to time... Not that it's about sides, but rather about a sense of understanding each other.

Obviously the number of people who side with me doesn't truly matter though. I do not hesitate when I say the vast majority of people likely believe in a higher power in some sense. The thing is, the ones that are generally appreciated by those who differ from them are the ones that accept that there are different opinions and do not excuse it with a statement such as "GOD has chosen not to convince you of his presence..."

If God has the power to convince me of his presence, then damn... convince me already. I'm so sick of being filled with doubt every waking moment of my life. It's not a choice, but rather my nature. If god has the ability to give me faith, then let him. It would make my life much easier. However, if he doesn't and I'm left to go to hell or wherever it is I would be sent to, then he is obviously not omnibenevolent. If he cannot convince me of his presence, he is not omnipotent. And if it's a matter of freewill, then he is not omniscient.

I have no problem with the concept of a higher power. It's the concept of a god as is defined by Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, that keeps me frustrated.
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#47 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/11/13 - 1:34 AM:

SUNLIGHT wrote:
.......Millions of christians will disagree with you , not to mention JEWS and hindhus and others


Although I'm not too educated on Hinduism, I do know their beliefs are quite different from that of the Christians and Jews. Did you mean to say Muslims instead of Hindus?
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#48 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/11/13 - 9:26 AM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:


Although I'm not too educated on Hinduism, I do know their beliefs are quite different from that of the Christians and Jews. Did you mean to say Muslims instead of Hindus?
..........................no i meant to say hidhus , i just left out the muslims ....as to GODS supposed innabilty or unwillingness to do this or that , rememeber that we are judging from a human viewpoint but GOD is pue spirit and as the heavens are higher than the earth so are GODS ways higher than our ways , PAUL tells us that we see through a glass darkley so we cant see the FULL picture clearly until he that is the LIGHT of the world returns ?
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#49 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/11/13 - 9:59 AM:

SUNLIGHT wrote:
as to GODS supposed innabilty or unwillingness to do this or that , rememeber that we are judging from a human viewpoint but GOD is pue spirit and as the heavens are higher than the earth so are GODS ways higher than our ways , PAUL tells us that we see through a glass darkley so we cant see the FULL picture clearly until he that is the LIGHT of the world returns ?


So in other words, we are stupid and are expected to follow the teachings of a book that has millions (at least) of interpretations. On top of that, even though we are so stupid, another one of us who is just as stupid somehow knows how the smart being handles all of existence.

I'm sorry. In my opinion, I find that to be bullshit. If a god really wanted us to be sheep to be herded, then damn it make us sheep not beings with (supposed) intelligence. Ignorance tends to be bliss and in more ways than one. This is why even though my doubtful nature is depressing as all hell, I am still somewhat grateful for it.

By the way, telling me human beings don't understand higher powers hurts your argument more than helps it. That type of "it just is and don't question it" attitude is honestly a major factor of what allowed Hitler to be so terrible in WWII. Blind faith is immensely scary and proven to be quite dangerous. I'm sorry, but I cannot approve of a god who requires blind faith.

I'd rather believe that life is likely a journey without purpose and all we can do is enjoy the ride while it lasts or hate every aspect of it. I've been on both sides of that spectrum. Even though the idea of nothingness frightens me, I know I'll live on. I won't be human, persay. It's likely I won't even be one entity. However, the energy/matter that is currently me, will not be destroyed. Instead it'll just move on to other aspects of existence. For me, it's a much less worrying way of life.

Also, I believe people can act good and honorable without the existence of a god. People can also act bad or indifferent without the existence of a devil. Therefore, the presence of such an entity as you describe is entirely unnecessary.

-End of rant
-Kin
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#50 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 08/11/13 - 10:34 AM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:


-End of rant
-Kin


And now, a word from Brian's sponsor. . . . . .
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.



Acknowledgements:

Couch logo design by Midnight_Monk. The photo hanging above the couch was taken by Paul.

Powered by WSN Forum. Free smileys here.
Special thanks to Maria Cristina, Jesse , Echolist Directory, The Star Online,
Hosting Free Webs, and dmoz.org for referring visitors to this site!

Copyright notice:

Except where noted otherwise, copyright belongs to respective authors
for artwork, photography and text posted in this forum.