The Couch

Do We Grow In Wisdom, As We Grow.....

Comments on Do We Grow In Wisdom, As We Grow.....

henry quirk
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Location: here

Total Topics: 47
Total Comments: 1298
#51 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 9:05 AM:

"...a man who has been banned 3 times from another forum and told the owner of the forum that he had no respect for her..."

Sorry SUN, but I gotta call bullshit on this.

It's true Doc was ousted three times...the reasons for his ousting were irrational and nonsensical...how do I know? 'cause I was there for all three bannings.

As for his public declaration of having no respect for that Owner: (1) Doc is entitled to his view, and, (2) his view is rooted in good reasoning...that particular Owner is a nutjob and deserves not an iota of admiration.

Context is everything, SUN...that you rip facts from context to poke at Doc is a bit sleazy, especially coming from a self-identified Christian.

Be ashamed, Brian.....raspberry
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#52 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 9:29 AM:

Well I shouldn't be a nit-picker, but hey! I am what I am, take it or leave it. If my memory is correct I have only been banned once, all the other times my account has been deleted, once because I pissed of an Admin. Other times on another forum It was due to inactivity, one forum deleted one account because I had two. Other times I deleted my own account, usually because I was dissatisfied with the forum. There is a very real difference between banning and deletion.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#53 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 9:35 AM:

If my opinion counts: I feel that matters 'generally' should not be taken from one forum to another. I have found both SUN and thedoc to be good interlocutors. If you just 'contain' your disagreements and reputations on forums, you would find that your experiences would be more rewarding.

smiling face
henry quirk
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Location: here

Total Topics: 47
Total Comments: 1298
#54 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 9:36 AM:

My bad, then...not being privy to your account(s) it all seemed like 'bans'.

#

I agree, Thinker.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#55 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 9:43 AM:

henry quirk wrote:
My bad, then...not being privy to your account(s) it all seemed like 'bans'.

#

I agree, Thinker.



You're not participating in discussions these days. Are you too busy writing or some other affairs tax your time these days?
henry quirk
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Location: here

Total Topics: 47
Total Comments: 1298
#56 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 9:47 AM:

Limited time, limited interest... wink
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#57 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 11:45 AM:

Thinker13 wrote:
If my opinion counts: I feel that matters 'generally' should not be taken from one forum to another. I have found both SUN and thedoc to be good interlocutors. If you just 'contain' your disagreements and reputations on forums, you would find that your experiences would be more rewarding.

smiling face



Every opinion counts, more to some than others.

If I find a particularly good topic on one forum I might want to get the opinion of users on another forum, and will post a thread on that topic.

I did not invite Sunlight here nor would I do so. I find most users here pleasant in exchange and do not need the useless hostility Sunlight brings, but that's just me.

I believe that God has a sense of Humor and appreciates a good joke like anyone else, God is also capable of shareing the other feelings that humans experience
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#58 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 12:42 PM:

thedoc wrote:



Every opinion counts, more to some than others.

If I find a particularly good topic on one forum I might want to get the opinion of users on another forum, and will post a thread on that topic.

I did not invite Sunlight here nor would I do so. I find most users here pleasant in exchange and do not need the useless hostility Sunlight brings, but that's just me.

I believe that God has a sense of Humor and appreciates a good joke like anyone else, God is also capable of shareing the other feelings that humans experience



I think you took my restraining 'matters' sentence a wee bit too seriously. By matters, I meant our personal opinions on other forum members, especially criticism; why I say so is because: Though we might think that we know 'best' about the common forum member, we should let others interact, give him an opportunity and form an opinion about him. Sharing opinions about forums members whom you have formerly known would end up making free inquiry dull. Why I use 'inquiry' here is because I feel that in discussions we don't just inquire Truth, but also explore others.


I cannot be so careless to state that you cannot bridge ideas from one forum to another, in fact I have many times stated that I carry ideas from this platform and discuss them offline.

I think should appreciate that someone of your age is involved in so many forum discussions. This might be usual. I may ask you: How many people of your age-group you feel are engaged in such forum discussions in USA? In India, I know none of the grandfathers personally who use internet. Some celebrities do claim that they use internet even in their sixties, but I doubt that.sticking out tongue

In fact, in some government offices senior people don't bother to read official e-mails. Computer becomes an eternal nemesis for them and their sub-ordinates are assigned the job of reading mails and reporting it to the officer.
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4673
#59 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 5:02 PM:

as for me, i would like it if people could just keep their ill opinions of each other to themselves (doc and sunlight, that means you). whatever history you have between you and others from other forums does not need to be relevant here. if someone gets on your nerves, just ignore them. we can't always agree on everything but we can at least keep the insults in check. please?
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#60 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 5:51 PM:

libertygrl wrote:
as for me, i would like it if people could just keep their ill opinions of each other to themselves (doc and sunlight, that means you). whatever history you have between you and others from other forums does not need to be relevant here. if someone gets on your nerves, just ignore them. we can't always agree on everything but we can at least keep the insults in check. please?



thumb up
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4673
#61 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 6:07 PM:

thanks doc
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#62 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 6:21 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:

I think should appreciate that someone of your age is involved in so many forum discussions. This might be usual. I may ask you: How many people of your age-group you feel are engaged in such forum discussions in USA? In India, I know none of the grandfathers personally who use internet. Some celebrities do claim that they use internet even in their sixties, but I doubt that.sticking out tongue



At this point there are only 2 who excede me in age that I know from what they have posted. Sunlight, by about 8 years, and on another forum Imp-pulse/Lavender-Orchid by about the same. there seem to be a lot in their late 40's and 50's, and judging from their posts a lot in adolescences. I didn't have access to a computer till Dec. '97 at age 50 and my first forum was 'Dropping Knowledge' in '06 at age 59, so I am relatively old to the internet. I did explore a few 'Chat Rooms' early on but it seemed that they were populated by children so I quit. When 'Dropping Knowledge' slowed down a few years ago I started looking at other forums and now I am registered on several but only look at 4 on a regular basis. If you don't feel like doing the math I am currently 65, 3 children, 7 grandchildren, 2nd marrage. I am not going to hide anything but if you really don't want to know I woun't bore you with the details. for myself I do find a persons history interesting, everyone has a story to tell but few are listening.
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4673
#63 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 8:39 PM:

thedoc wrote:
for myself I do find a persons history interesting, everyone has a story to tell but few are listening.

indeed. i find a person's life history very interesting as well.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#64 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted 07/04/12 - 3:06 AM:

thedoc wrote:



At this point there are only 2 who excede me in age that I know from what they have posted. Sunlight, by about 8 years, and on another forum Imp-pulse/Lavender-Orchid by about the same. there seem to be a lot in their late 40's and 50's, and judging from their posts a lot in adolescences. I didn't have access to a computer till Dec. '97 at age 50 and my first forum was 'Dropping Knowledge' in '06 at age 59, so I am relatively old to the internet. I did explore a few 'Chat Rooms' early on but it seemed that they were populated by children so I quit. When 'Dropping Knowledge' slowed down a few years ago I started looking at other forums and now I am registered on several but only look at 4 on a regular basis. If you don't feel like doing the math I am currently 65, 3 children, 7 grandchildren, 2nd marrage. I am not going to hide anything but if you really don't want to know I woun't bore you with the details. for myself I do find a persons history interesting, everyone has a story to tell but few are listening.



I have had an inborn respect for elders(wisdom.) Though, I have found that elders might be slightly 'edgy' at times, but then we all are; why expect 'perfect sense' from elders then. I think you're unique in the sense that you can write well at an advanced age and you have seen enough of 'life stories.' My guess was right after all; not many elders use internet to interact in forums even in USA. I think it's pretty obvious. Being religious is good but being 'open minded' is even more important in my opinion. You can really keep posting your 'memoirs,' here on this thread, or, on the thread opened by lib(whatever you prefer.) I am all ears.hug
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4673
#65 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/04/12 - 11:36 AM:

Thinker13 wrote:
You can really keep posting your 'memoirs,' here on this thread, or, on the thread opened by lib(whatever you prefer.) I am all ears.hug

thumb up nod smiling face
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#66 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/06/12 - 9:13 PM:

I have no problem sharing my history, but it would be nice to know who I am taking to. I know a bit about Henry from this and other forums, and Thinker13 seems to be open about who he is. I would advise you with the same thing I told me wife before we got married, I will answer any question with the truth as long as you are ready to hear the truth. Sometimes people in a relationship don't really want to hear the truth, but a nice fiction that makes them feel good. Perhaps I have a mean streak, but I place a great importance on the truth, as I know it.
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4673
#67 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/06/12 - 9:24 PM:

truthtelling is awesome. check out this topic doc, where we've gotten started talking about our life stories:

http://www.thecouchforum.com/comments.php?id=2089
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#68 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/10/12 - 2:56 AM:

thedoc wrote:
I have no problem sharing my history, but it would be nice to know who I am taking to. I know a bit about Henry from this and other forums, and Thinker13 seems to be open about who he is. I would advise you with the same thing I told me wife before we got married, I will answer any question with the truth as long as you are ready to hear the truth. Sometimes people in a relationship don't really want to hear the truth, but a nice fiction that makes them feel good. Perhaps I have a mean streak, but I place a great importance on the truth, as I know it.



Bring it on dais. sticking out tongue
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#69 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/10/12 - 2:59 AM:

libertygrl wrote:
truthtelling is awesome. check out this topic doc, where we've gotten started talking about our life stories:

http://www.thecouchforum.com/comments.php?id=2089



It would take certain amount of effort on my part to bring evidence, but I have read Win Wenger quoting some scientific sources( Mankato nuns etc) which suggest that telling life stories, especially when you're growing up, is, a great way to be immune against mental ailments like Alzheimer.
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#70 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/11/12 - 10:07 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:

It would take certain amount of effort on my part to bring evidence, but I have read Win Wenger quoting some scientific sources( Mankato nuns etc) which suggest that telling life stories, especially when you're growing up, is, a great way to be immune against mental ailments like Alzheimer.



I would think that any activity that exersizes the memory and keeps it active would help to slow or prevent memory ailments such as Alzheimers. Some exersizes that may help would be to memorize a work of literature, perhaps some poetry, or learn to play some music from memory. My Mother suffered from a form Dimentia which was memory loss or the confusion of memories from different times in her life. I did not live close by so I cannot say what her daily activities were.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#71 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/12/12 - 3:50 AM:

thedoc wrote:



I would think that any activity that exersizes the memory and keeps it active would help to slow or prevent memory ailments such as Alzheimers. Some exersizes that may help would be to memorize a work of literature, perhaps some poetry, or learn to play some music from memory. My Mother suffered from a form Dimentia which was memory loss or the confusion of memories from different times in her life. I did not live close by so I cannot say what her daily activities were.



The distinction in case of Life Story: It allows you to tell your view of what happened. Since your emotions surface and many things come out to conscious from subconscious, you get a rare type of joy; besides witnessing your own thoughts you get a kind of detachment from them0---you get a feeling that they're just 'thoughts' and they don't really bind you.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.



Acknowledgements:

Couch logo design by Midnight_Monk. The photo hanging above the couch was taken by Paul.

Powered by WSN Forum. Free smileys here.
Special thanks to Maria Cristina, Jesse , Echolist Directory, The Star Online,
Hosting Free Webs, and dmoz.org for referring visitors to this site!

Copyright notice:

Except where noted otherwise, copyright belongs to respective authors
for artwork, photography and text posted in this forum.