The Couch

Is it a sin to be rich?

Comments on Is it a sin to be rich?

thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#26 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/21/12 - 4:45 PM:

libertygrl wrote:

christians believe it is hmm



Speaking for myself, not all of them do.
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
#27 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/21/12 - 6:07 PM:

thedoc wrote:
Speaking for myself, not all of them do.

cool. thumb up
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#28 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/28/12 - 6:44 AM:

libertygrl wrote:

christians believe it is hmm

..............................
JOB was rich ...ABRAHAM was rich ...if GOD puts a man in a position wherby he can become rich then it is not sin to be rich BUT if a man gets rich by robbing othes of their lands and possessions , then that is a sin

KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#29 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/28/12 - 7:34 AM:

SUNLIGHT wrote:

..............................
JOB was rich ...ABRAHAM was rich ...if GOD puts a man in a position wherby he can become rich then it is not sin to be rich BUT if a man gets rich by robbing othes of their lands and possessions , then that is a sin



I believe Lib was saying that Christians believe it is a sin to be human (not that they believe it is a sin to be rich).

(Correct me if I'm wrong Lib.)

-Kin heart
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
#30 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/28/12 - 9:32 AM:

exactly kin, according to the bible we are born sinners.
kowalskil
Junior Member

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: Fort Lee, New Jeresy, USA

Total Topics: 8
Total Comments: 13
#31 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/28/12 - 10:30 AM:

henry quirk wrote:
'Sin' is in the eye of the beholder.

'Rich' (and 'poor'): also in the eye of the beholder.

Meaningless distinctions (categories), I think.


The word "sin" is belongs to our spiritual world while the word "richness" belong to our material world.

Ludwi Kowalski
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#32 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/28/12 - 11:03 AM:

libertygrl wrote:
exactly kin, according to the bible we are born sinners.



'Original Sin' of Christianity and 'Karma' of Buddhi/Hiduism are very similar concepts. Then there are those who suggest that reincarnation was a well circulated idea in early Christianity.
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#33 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/28/12 - 11:57 AM:

libertygrl wrote:
exactly kin, according to the bible we are born sinners.


The Bible, though a wise text for its time, was still written by man. Therefore, it was subject to the opinions (faulty or not) of man. No thing in this existence is perfect.

Unless you believe in certain higher powers, of course.
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#34 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/28/12 - 1:55 PM:

The church justifies it as the "Inspired Word of God" but there is no way to verify this. The writing and copying of the Bible was done by man and this is the problem. There is no way to stop an unscrupulous scribe who could easily insert some dogma that is expected to be accepted on faith. Fortunately there are aspects of the Bible that, through lack of understanding, have not been tampered with much, and reading it as Mythology allows meaning to imerge that is not obvious. I have only gotten to a few sections, so don't ask for an indepth translation, I'm still looking for a good dictionary of mythological termanology.
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#35 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/29/12 - 8:55 AM:

QUOTE kiNaoko90:The Bible, though a wise text for its time, was still written by man

.....................................
the BIBLE was writttn by men guided by GOD who told them what to write

EXODUS 24:4: 4-6 Then Moses wrote it all down, everything God had said.

2 PETER 1:21
21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit
henry quirk
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Location: here

Total Topics: 47
Total Comments: 1298
#36 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/29/12 - 9:09 AM:

"The word "sin" is belongs to our spiritual world while the word "richness" belong to our material world."

Failing to see your point.

No matter the sphere (spiritual; material) both words are subjective and meaningless.

KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#37 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/29/12 - 3:30 PM:

SUNLIGHT wrote:
QUOTE kiNaoko90:The Bible, though a wise text for its time, was still written by man

.....................................
the BIBLE was writttn by men guided by GOD who told them what to write

EXODUS 24:4: 4-6 Then Moses wrote it all down, everything God had said.

2 PETER 1:21
21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit


Let me get this straight. All humans are born sinners, but they follow the will of god to the letter? Does. not. compute. To me that's like saying: "This sentence is false." It's a paradox in logic and it "does. not. compute."

Okay now I'm going to put my opinion of Christianity (not aimed at any specific indiviual) into the discussion. Please try not to be offended. These are just my opinions.

To me, religion was great for keeping society organized and behaved... centuries ago. The texts were wise... centuries ago. Jesus was a mere wise human born of mortal heritage... a couple millenia ago. He was born in early spring to the best of my "knowledge"... a couple millenia ago. He was intelligent and wise... a couple millenia ago. The Catholic Church changed Christianity around to more easily convert pagans and others... centuries ago. Throughout history there have been holy wars on all sides... Christianity included.

It makes no sense, to me, to use an outdated form of belief system. Nor does it make sense to me to have belief systems that contradict themselves. The Crusades were bad enough... but that war was waged by the same people who vowed to "love thy neighbor".

I'm sorry I got a bit snappy at the end. I was remembering how Christians preach forgiveness but, when it comes to people who are so depressed they commit suicide, they say there is no forgiveness for such a "crime". As someone who has attempted suicide, it irritates me to no end.

-Kin heart
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#38 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/29/12 - 4:28 PM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:


Let me get this straight. All humans are born sinners, but they follow the will of god to the letter? Does. not. compute. To me that's like saying: "This sentence is false." It's a paradox in logic and it "does. not. compute."

-Kin heart


Judaism and it's diratives are unique in the belief that Man and God are seperate. From this comes the idea that nature is evil and corrupt and man is sinfull. This is illustrated in the story of the 'Fall' in Genesis that has been largly misunderstood as God expelling man from the garden, but in truth man exiled himself and seperated himself from God. The cycle is Unity, (Man in the garden with God) to dualism, (Man in the world and God somewhere 'out there') and back to unity, (the promise of life after death in Heaven). The fallacy in your statement above is that man does not follow the will of God to the letter, and that is what constitutes sin. The other fallacy is that man is seperate from nature (the world) And this is one of the most dangerous teachings of religion, it gives the notion that man will be saved even if he destroys the environment, so nature can be seen as corrupt and evil, 'the work of the devil'.
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#39 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/29/12 - 5:33 PM:

doc, I agree with you. Humankind can no more escape from being one with nature (or the universe) and her laws than my muscles cells can escape being one with me.

I also understand the fallacies within my paradox, but I find feigning ignorance to be less offensive to most believers than outright saying that I think they are wrong.

-Kin heart
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#40 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/29/12 - 7:57 PM:

I will not be offended, please tell me where you think other believers are wrong, I might surprise you by agreeing.
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#41 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/30/12 - 9:37 AM:

thedoc wrote:
I will not be offended, please tell me where you think other believers are wrong, I might surprise you by agreeing.


From your other posts I can tell you're not like the majority of "believers" I've talked to. I was mistaken for saying "I think they are wrong". I meant to say "I want to think they are wrong".

I want to believe they are wrong about humankind's superiority over all other existences. I want to believe that they are wrong for banning gay marriage in certain states. I want to believe a lot of things... but most of all I want to believe there are no higher powers.

-Kin heart
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#42 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/30/12 - 12:09 PM:

Have you guys heard about 'Religion of mushroom?' Some people claim that Christ was a mushroom. Moses ate that mushroom before coming up with 'I AM THAT, I AM' on that mountain according to them.
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#43 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/30/12 - 12:17 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:
Have you guys heard about 'Religion of mushroom?' Some people claim that Christ was a mushroom. Moses ate that mushroom before coming up with 'I AM THAT, I AM' on that mountain according to them.


No, I haven't heard about that before. o.O But if such were the case, it would confirm my younger self's beliefs that religions were all based on pipe-dreams. laughing

Where did you read about that? I'd love to read the article.

(As I'm writing this I'm in my dad's living room trying not to laugh too loud because my dad is a firm believer that Christ was the son of God. The last thing I need right now is to have him ask me what I'm laughing about.)

-Kin heart
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#44 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/30/12 - 12:32 PM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:


No, I haven't heard about that before. o.O But if such were the case, it would confirm my younger self's beliefs that religions were all based on pipe-dreams. laughing

Where did you read about that? I'd love to read the article.

(As I'm writing this I'm in my dad's living room trying not to laugh too loud because my dad is a firm believer that Christ was the son of God. The last thing I need right now is to have him ask me what I'm laughing about.)

-Kin heart



Here:http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2008/09/jesus-christ-magic-mushroom-part-2.html
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#45 - Quote - Permalink
0 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted 06/30/12 - 12:35 PM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:


From your other posts I can tell you're not like the majority of "believers" I've talked to. I was mistaken for saying "I think they are wrong". I meant to say "I want to think they are wrong".

I want to believe they are wrong about humankind's superiority over all other existences. I want to believe that they are wrong for banning gay marriage in certain states. I want to believe a lot of things... but most of all I want to believe there are no higher powers.

-Kin heart



It might be useful at this point to define exactly what is a "Highter Power". 'God' is a term that can be applied in many ways, in Christianity God is a spiritual being that caused the Universe to come into existance but is seperate from it, but God can also be seen as 'The Creation of the Universe and the Universe itself'. So 'God' can be a term that means the entire Universe and all life that is in it, physical or spiritual. Rather than creating the Universe God is the Universe.
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#46 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/01/12 - 7:42 AM:

thedoc wrote:



It might be useful at this point to define exactly what is a "Highter Power". 'God' is a term that can be applied in many ways, in Christianity God is a spiritual being that caused the Universe to come into existance but is seperate from it, but God can also be seen as 'The Creation of the Universe and the Universe itself'. So 'God' can be a term that means the entire Universe and all life that is in it, physical or spiritual. Rather than creating the Universe God is the Universe.

...........................................
you may have a ggod point there doc thumb upas the apostle writes that " in him we live and move and have our being "
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#47 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/01/12 - 8:33 AM:

SUN wrote:
as the apostle writes that " in him we live and move and have our being "


Sun, what are your thoughts on this? All I've heard so far is that you agree with other people's thoughts (be it from the Bible or some of us here). You won't offend me if you speak for yourself instead of quoting religious sayings. You wouldn't offend me anyway but I want to hear what you believe.

-Kin heart
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#48 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/01/12 - 11:33 AM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:


I meant to say "I want to think they are wrong".

I want to believe they are wrong about humankind's superiority over all other existences.

but most of all I want to believe there are no higher powers.

-Kin heart



Mankind does have a certain kind of technological superiority over the other living things on Earth, and this gives rise to the mistaken idea that ,mankind is superior to nature in all things. If you look at mans ability to destroy an environment, or hunt a species to extinction, it gives some support to the idea. But in truth the more man destroys of the environment, the more he destroys that which sustaines mankind itself. Nature and the Earth will survive and go on whether man destroye himself or not, nature is still superior, just observe mans puny attempts to control nature. Man doesn't even understand nature let alone control it.

There can be no doubt that there is a 'Higher Power' if you just observe nature and think clearly about what you are seeing. Nature is a 'Higher Power'. And answer the question of what initiated the 'Big Bang', the creation of the Universe, and you will identify a 'Higher Power'.
KinNaoko90
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Location: Fulton County, NY

Total Topics: 36
Total Comments: 298
#49 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/02/12 - 9:59 PM:

KinNaoko90 wrote:


Sun, what are your thoughts on this? All I've heard so far is that you agree with other people's thoughts (be it from the Bible or some of us here). You won't offend me if you speak for yourself instead of quoting religious sayings. You wouldn't offend me anyway but I want to hear what you believe.

-Kin heart


You still haven't answered me. Could I at least have a reason why?

-Kin heart
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#50 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 07/04/12 - 9:02 AM:

i dont know what uou mean by relgious sayings , what i do is quote from the BIBLE which may not be the same as quoting religious sayings rolling eyes
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.



Acknowledgements:

Couch logo design by Midnight_Monk. The photo hanging above the couch was taken by Paul.

Powered by WSN Forum. Free smileys here.
Special thanks to Maria Cristina, Jesse , Echolist Directory, The Star Online,
Hosting Free Webs, and dmoz.org for referring visitors to this site!

Copyright notice:

Except where noted otherwise, copyright belongs to respective authors
for artwork, photography and text posted in this forum.