The Couch

What three dogmas hurt individuals the most?

Comments on What three dogmas hurt individuals the most?

henry quirk
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Location: here

Total Topics: 47
Total Comments: 1298
Posted 04/05/12 - 5:00 PM:
Subject: What three dogmas hurt individuals the most?
Interpret and answer as you like...
JrnymnX
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Aug 26, 2006

Total Topics: 12
Total Comments: 217
Avatar JrnymnX
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted 04/05/12 - 6:49 PM:

Religious dogmas, political dogmas, moral dogmas. takes a bow
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted 04/05/12 - 10:41 PM:

Wiki wrote:
Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, or a particular group or organization. It is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted, or diverged from, by the practitioners or believers. Although it generally refers to religious beliefs that are accepted without reason or evidence, they can refer to acceptable opinions of philosophers or philosophical schools, public decrees, or issued decisions of political authorities. The term derives from Greek δόγμα "that which seems to one, opinion or belief" and that from δοκέω (dokeo), "to think, to suppose, to imagine". Dogma came to signify laws or ordinances adjudged and imposed upon others by the First Century. The plural is either dogmas or dogmata, from Greek δόγματα. Today, It is sometimes used as a synonym for systematic theology.



Dogmas by their very nature are harmful in certain senses. Categorically speaking by its very definition religious is most fatal type of dogma to ever happen to any individual.

Even more serious than religious dogma is dogma of thinking. The common belief that what we see, perceive, analyze, think, preach is real or true without doubt, without being able to witness our thoughts is biggest and most widespread of all dogmas and it applies to even so called 'independent' thinkers.
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
Posted 04/08/12 - 11:28 AM:

let me cast another vote for religious dogma as taking the prize. but yes, i'm hard pressed to think of any good kind of dogma.
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
Posted 04/12/12 - 12:46 PM:

'Man and nature are seperate creations', the idea that man is not part of nature is taught by religions directly or by inference and is dangerous to nature and to man. The concept of the 'fall' in Judeo Christian mythology teaches that nature and things that are natural are evil and the influence of the Devil. Evil has no meaning in nature, it only applies to man's activities and ideas. People who hold this concept believe that if they were created seperately and superior to nature, they will be preserved by God even if they destroy the environment. The truth is that if man destroyes the environment he destroys himself. "Stupidity is it's own reward".
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
Posted 04/12/12 - 1:06 PM:

I'm not sure if it is dogma,

"Seeing is Believing", implying that what you see is the truth. Most people do not see what is in front of them, many times when confronted with a familiar object the brain will fill in with an image from memory and if the object has been changed, that change will not be seen. Sometimes the change can be complete but the person still sees the old object, and this can persist for a long time, even indefenitely. If people are not seeing what is in front of them, and believe what they see, then they are believing a lie.
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
Posted 04/13/12 - 12:34 AM:

thedoc wrote:
I'm not sure if it is dogma,

"Seeing is Believing", implying that what you see is the truth. Most people do not see what is in front of them, many times when confronted with a familiar object the brain will fill in with an image from memory and if the object has been changed, that change will not be seen. Sometimes the change can be complete but the person still sees the old object, and this can persist for a long time, even indefenitely. If people are not seeing what is in front of them, and believe what they see, then they are believing a lie.

a truth confirmed time and again by science. perception is governed first by expectation in a large majority of cases. how do we transcend this problem? the first solution that comes to mind is through meditation. on the other hand, meditation, like anything i suppose, has the potential to become a form of dogma. so perhaps the true solution is the adventurous spirit, a cultivation of curiosity and a desire for exploration. at least, for now. ha.
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
Posted 04/13/12 - 8:24 AM:

It has been my experience that most people do not accurately see what is in front of them, and I believe this is because most just do not look, they glance without really looking. An artist will, by necessity learn to look carefully in order to accurately portray what they are reproducing. Photography is good if you can view the scene imediately after you take the picture and compair one to the other. But I think painting is better, as you need to really see what is there in order to represent it on the picture, especially when you are trying to do an accurate pictorial picture. In my opinion painting may be the best training for looking and seeing what is in front of you.
Samvega
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2012

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 38
Avatar Samvega
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted 04/17/12 - 1:38 PM:

1.) The dogma that humans are separate from nature

2.) The dogma that human ideas, systems, and creations are superior to nature

3.) The dogma that humans can use their ideas, systems and creations to dominate nature without consequences.
Soft Wind
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Mar 22, 2012

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 18
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 05/25/12 - 1:40 AM:

Samvega

I like your anserw, except for three, I think we can have ideas, sex, art, and structure that has a low impact on "nature"

Before the abused children took over movies art and science, there was a saying, "the laws of real art, are the laws of nature".

when we pervert art we pervert nature, you can not do a real bad job on nature till you warp art, food, romance etc.

one of my favorate bands is early "china Crisis"

they wrote a song called "a golden handshake for every dauther"

funny title?

not at all, the song was about a man very in love, and at his wedding by a castle, he watched the elderly "Golden" greet their grand children, this is rock music, and i could listen to that and easily turn with out any sickness so often in music, and hug my dauthers.

unlike blue oyster cult who wrote about suicide.

While a sub fact is art is never any more healthy then it is apart of the whole life prosess, it is also never better for the world then the artist who stuck to the laws of nature in composing it.

The world is over whilmed with post trumatic stress right now, so bad art and there fore bad stewardship of everything, is every where.

And dark psychos like jonny depp, drops hundreds of thousands of dollars supporting serial murderiers in jail, with out complaint from fans.

THE FACTS ARE, WHAT WE THINK LOVE IS, WHO DESERVES TO BE FORGIVEN, WHO DESERVES HEALTH CARE, WHAT IS GOOD TO EAT, HYGENE, SLEEP, WATER INTAKE-EITHER JIVES WITH LOVE OR IT DOES NOT

WHAT WE THINK TO DO, IS WHAT WE THINK ART IS.

AND ART IS A PRAYER AND A WISH

by which nature will judge us.

get the art right, get the hidden death out of art, the music right, the idea of nurture right, and it would go a long way to make much else we do "Right"

and to do that right you must start with the depression that gives poeple the feeling they can slay others, light, hope , sensitivity. and has soaked our culture, music and optimisium.

the kind of the depression anikin skywalker had over his mother.
that made him charish black,
which every real adult knows is the "Sign of the pathitic broken"


when the inner mother is a rape victim--run.



partal lyrics

A GOLDEN HANDSHAKE FOR EVERY DAUTHER

We sat by the river
talking for hours
I cried myself to sleep
push me gently
ever so gently
this emotional water's far too deep

Some say, some say tomorrow
as they hide behind, as they hide behind their sorrows

but for me
A golden handshake for every daughter
and a piece of the wedding cake

run from your houses
and your summer lovers
love is all you can take



laughingnodwheeraspberrydisapprovaleekkookylaughingnodhughugclapheartlaughingblushshaking headheartclapheartkookylaughingwheenod

Edited by Soft Wind on 05/25/12 - 2:02 AM
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 05/25/12 - 1:48 AM:

A GOLDEN HANDSHAKE FOR EVERY DAUGHTER

We sat by the river
talking for hours
I cried myself to sleep
push me gently
ever so gently
this emotional water's far too deep

Some say, some say tomorrow
hide behind, as they hide behind their sorrow

A golden handshake for every daughter
and a piece of the wedding cake
run from your houses
and your summer lovers
love is all you can take

I just love it. thumb up

Edited by Thinker13 on 06/07/12 - 3:49 PM
Soft Wind
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Mar 22, 2012

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 18
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 05/27/12 - 3:20 AM:

gosh

I was really hopeing for the "artistic suicides" to show up here and defend jonny depp.

I wanted to show how the greatest national defense problem in the usa was a lack of nation health care to catch these psycho art balls early
instaed of making movie stars out of them.

Remakes of the "three stoges" and "Aurthor" show just what computers and the lost social developement learning curb they stold have done to the arts.

I go by the movie mechine near my house and it is all comic book remakes for adult infentile dysorder victoms.

I am a adult.

I want arts for adults and the complex emotional situations they face.

Wonder where henry quirk stands on this, since he has held such high ground about judgeitmentation.

well henry, what do you think about the dogma of infentileisum and its enbracement of stupidity in the arts.shaking head
shaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking head
clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapkookykookykookykookykookykookykookykookykookykookykookykookykookyheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 05/27/12 - 3:27 AM:

SoftWind wrote:

gosh

I was really hopeing for the "artistic suicides" to show up here and defend jonny depp.


No wonder for me, because people over here are, smart, intelligent, wise and relaxed. laughing
Soft Wind
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Mar 22, 2012

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 18
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 05/27/12 - 3:30 AM:

Thinker13 wrote:


No wonder for me, because people over here are, smart, intelligent, wise and relaxed. laughing


and we are blessed for such a state of affairs.

clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclaphearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthearthughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughug
Soft Wind
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Mar 22, 2012

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 18
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 05/27/12 - 3:33 AM:

I think the greatest dogma is to lose hope.

The hand of the universe will only let its law of joy and happiness for all go unfulfilled for only so long.

EXPECT CHANGES


clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclaphughughughughughughughughughughughughughug

THAT END IN-----peacepeacepeacepeacepeacepeacepeacepeace
henry quirk
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Location: here

Total Topics: 47
Total Comments: 1298
#16 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 05/30/12 - 8:38 AM:

"well henry, what do you think about the dogma of infentileisum and its enbracement of stupidity in the arts."

Don't know that infantilism or dumb art has anything to do with 'dogma', but, domestication of an individual (making him or her docile, directable, etc.) means -- in part -- training him or her to be fascinated with 'novelty' (of the surface variety: shiny and new and shallow). Children love the shiny and new. Domestication, therefore, is all about reducing individuals (of any age) to children...one sure way to domesticate is to make *art dumb.

That answer work for ya, SW?









*so, maybe it is about dogma...some of the dumbest art (visual, performance, etc.) is steeped in 'canon' (which is just dogma wearing a dress).
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#17 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted 06/01/12 - 9:34 PM:

'I'm right, and you're wrong.' is probably the most damaging of all dogmas, as it prevents individuals from evaluating the ideas of others.
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#18 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/01/12 - 9:40 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:


No wonder for me, because people over here are, smart, intelligent, wise and relaxed. laughing



Relaxed, yes, the rest doubtful. I just want-to play with my grandchildren, except the 2 1/2 year old is getting more and more defiant every day, on top of being ornery. You would not believe how tired I get after a day with her.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#19 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/02/12 - 10:30 AM:

thedoc wrote:
'I'm right, and you're wrong.' is probably the most damaging of all dogmas, as it prevents individuals from evaluating the ideas of others.



I agree and it's what I tried to highlight in my first posts in this thread.thumb up
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#20 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/02/12 - 10:31 AM:

thedoc wrote:



Relaxed, yes, the rest doubtful. I just want-to play with my grandchildren, except the 2 1/2 year old is getting more and more defiant every day, on top of being ornery. You would not believe how tired I get after a day with her.


Hahaha, but no matter how much the pain, you're enjoying it all, so it's alright. I don't have any doubts about other tags i assigned to people, but i think that tags are not necessary. peace
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#21 - Quote - Permalink
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted 06/04/12 - 7:11 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:


Hahaha, but no matter how much the pain, you're enjoying it all, so it's alright. I don't have any doubts about other tags i assigned to people, but i think that tags are not necessary. peace



Tags are a problem, as we have limited contact here and nothing can be verified. I have no way of knowing that what you say is really what you believe and the same goes for me. But we accept what is posted on faith till proven otherwise. Tags are a bit like sterotyping and are often wrong, if you really want to know something about me, ask, I may answer, or not, depending on my mood. Don't assume I'm a nice guy because my posts are mostly polite, I may be a real S.O.B., or not?
SUNLIGHT
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 28, 2012
Location: united kingdom

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 931
#22 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/05/12 - 2:02 PM:

QUOTE THE DOC Don't assume I'm a nice guy because my posts are mostly polite, I may be a real S.O.B., or not?

......................................
Wise advice doc smiling face
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#23 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/05/12 - 2:30 PM:

thedoc wrote:



Tags are a problem, as we have limited contact here and nothing can be verified. I have no way of knowing that what you say is really what you believe and the same goes for me. But we accept what is posted on faith till proven otherwise. Tags are a bit like sterotyping and are often wrong, if you really want to know something about me, ask, I may answer, or not, depending on my mood. Don't assume I'm a nice guy because my posts are mostly polite, I may be a real S.O.B., or not?



I agree. But also consider this: Though it's not very substantial proposition, but, unless someone starts selling me something, I take it that they mean truth, online or offline.

On the other leg: People here might be "real people." I think that if you're a cluster of thoughts and feelings and of a thousand other things, then at least your 'thoughts and feelings' part gets more echoed in sincere profound conversations where you go at length expressing yourself, than in your office, in front of your spouse or children; because there you have to put a better mask.
praxis
Senior Member

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jan 18, 2007

Total Topics: 3
Total Comments: 378
praxis
#24 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/06/12 - 3:39 PM:

Dogmas that divide people I suppose.
thedoc
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Sep 15, 2011

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 982
Avatar thedoc
#25 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/06/12 - 5:48 PM:

I would think that most, if not all, dogmas are divisive. Offhand I can't think of any that are not, they create the situation that we believe this and they do not, that is divisive. The oposite of dogma is an openminded curiosity which invites different ideas and tolerance of those ideas.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.



Acknowledgements:

Couch logo design by Midnight_Monk. The photo hanging above the couch was taken by Paul.

Powered by WSN Forum. Free smileys here.
Special thanks to Maria Cristina, Jesse , Echolist Directory, The Star Online,
Hosting Free Webs, and dmoz.org for referring visitors to this site!

Copyright notice:

Except where noted otherwise, copyright belongs to respective authors
for artwork, photography and text posted in this forum.