The Couch

Lost Highway

Comments on Lost Highway

Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 02/05/12 - 1:46 PM:
Subject: Lost Highway
Lost Highway is one of the best Lynch movies. Music is exceptionally good. The visual representation of a human emotion ( or a state of mind), with a character who is so dramatically scaring and humourous at the same time, is an achievement in this film. This guy with a stout figure, short stature, white eerie face and piercingly-haunting eyes, is one of the most horrid characters of all times. He reminds you of 'The Death' from the movie 'The Seventh Seal' and it seems natural that Lynch might have gotten inspiration from that movie. The dialogue involving this character is most stunning in this story. Like his other major works, Lynch has directed and written this story on his own.


Like many other Lynch movies, it deals with prostitution along with other things.It also has a scene showing Hollywood and it seems to be one of the hallmarks of Lynch movies. You cannot interpret this story to the full but themes are definitely those of extra-marital affairs, betrayal in love and suspicion in relations.In first few scenes, the protagonist says " I like to remember things in my own way and not the way they happened." This tells you about absurd climax. A very enjoyable movie with a few very disturbing sequence. Disturbing you is one of the tasks performed by Lynch movies. The other being: Entertaining you and making you flummoxed.
Monk2400
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 19, 2005

Total Topics: 116
Total Comments: 1518
Posted 03/05/12 - 7:47 PM:

Lynch likes to explore the line between life and death. That moment, that razor thin moment, just before final extinction, when everything and anything becomes possible and projected. He plays with time and identity, shifting these with facility within some ambiguous overarching narrative--one that usually doesn't have a conclusion and may offer multiple climaxes (just what the ladies love, LOL).

In the Lost Highway he implies that when we intend to do bad things, we will find ourselves in strange hells of our own making. Is life a dream that we can weave such a fabric of experience? Or is this only possible in that last, final moment, along that last, final stretch of 'highway' that we all must inevitably pass?

Mulholland Drive is another Lynch film that plays with these issues.

8)
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 03/05/12 - 11:32 PM:

Monk2400 wrote:
Lynch likes to explore the line between life and death. That moment, that razor thin moment, just before final extinction, when everything and anything becomes possible and projected. He plays with time and identity, shifting these with facility within some ambiguous overarching narrative--one that usually doesn't have a conclusion and may offer multiple climaxes (just what the ladies love, LOL).

In the Lost Highway he implies that when we intend to do bad things, we will find ourselves in strange hells of our own making. Is life a dream that we can weave such a fabric of experience? Or is this only possible in that last, final moment, along that last, final stretch of 'highway' that we all must inevitably pass?

Mulholland Drive is another Lynch film that plays with these issues.

8)



I remember that you did not like Inception much, so it came to me as a surprise that you have watched 'Lost Highway' and Mulholand Drive.


Lynch has not only used dreams in his narratives but also framed many of them on them. Face-identity-shifts being one of the characterstics of his dreams.

As stated earlier: Paranormal, possibilities, music, ladies, prostitution, alternate universes are themes in all Lynch movies.

That scene where something happened to the character who works in the garage and his family members were calling him seems to be the most mysterious scene in entire movie.
Monk2400
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 19, 2005

Total Topics: 116
Total Comments: 1518
Posted 03/06/12 - 2:38 AM:

Lost Highway is one of my favorite movies of all time. I just watched Mulholland Drive recently.

Il n'est pas d'orchestra.

8)
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 03/06/12 - 5:06 AM:

Monk2400 wrote:
Lost Highway is one of my favorite movies of all time. I just watched Mulholland Drive recently.

Il n'est pas d'orchestra.

8)



What does 'Il n'est pas d'orchestra.' mean?


I guess it has something to do with your affinity for music!

Which are your other favorite movies?


Monk2400
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 19, 2005

Total Topics: 116
Total Comments: 1518
Posted 03/06/12 - 1:59 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:



What does 'Il n'est pas d'orchestra.' mean?


I guess it has something to do with your affinity for music!

Which are your other favorite movies?




That's a quote from the mysterious 'play' scene in Mulholland Drive. 'No hay banda. Il n'est pas d'orchestra.'

Other favs include The Razors Edge (1946), Dancer in the Dark (2000), Big Trouble in Little China (1986),.

8)
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 03/06/12 - 2:14 PM:

Monk2400 wrote:


That's a quote from the mysterious 'play' scene in Mulholland Drive. 'No hay banda. Il n'est pas d'orchestra.'

Other favs include The Razors Edge (1946), Dancer in the Dark (2000), Big Trouble in Little China (1986),.

8)



Alright. Big Trouble I have watched, I would like to see other two, but now I remember that W Somerset Maugham is your favorite author. smiling face
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
Posted 03/06/12 - 8:28 PM:

"No hay banda" is spanish for "there's no band"

"Il n'est pas d'orchestra" is french for "there's no orchestra"

they are from the club silencio scene. =)

monk, i don't think i've seen that interpretation that you posted, i look forward to checking it out. here's another intriguing (and thoroughly extensive) interpretation:

www.imanisystems.com/Mulhol...olland_Drive_Analysis.html

it was actually thinker who turned me onto mulholland drive, totally love it. a little trepidatious about lost highway, lol, although surely i will get around to it eventually.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.



Acknowledgements:

Couch logo design by Midnight_Monk. The photo hanging above the couch was taken by Paul.

Powered by WSN Forum. Free smileys here.
Special thanks to Maria Cristina, Jesse , Echolist Directory, The Star Online,
Hosting Free Webs, and dmoz.org for referring visitors to this site!

Copyright notice:

Except where noted otherwise, copyright belongs to respective authors
for artwork, photography and text posted in this forum.