The Couch

An endless feud?

Comments on An endless feud?

libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
#26 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 01/05/12 - 4:28 PM:

as per the wikipedia quote, "Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist."

this sounds applicable to your case... (key words: absence of belief). or perhaps your beliefs lean toward atheism with agnostic undertones. i can understand resisting the label if it doesn't totally resonate. it does help to understand your perspective, though. i think i have a better understanding of it now.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#27 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 01/05/12 - 10:58 PM:

libertygrl wrote:
as per the wikipedia quote, "Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist."

this sounds applicable to your case... (key words: absence of belief). or perhaps your beliefs lean toward atheism with agnostic undertones. i can understand resisting the label if it doesn't totally resonate. it does help to understand your perspective, though. i think i have a better understanding of it now.



May be, what you say represents my position better than what I say about it. I would not mind being called an 'Atheist' or a 'Theist' or a 'Christian' or a 'Jew' or a 'Hindu', because I do not indentify with any of them.



A question: I am not an ardent follower of Buddha and in fact question him for a thing or two ( I would start a thread on one such question), still, I would like to ask you a thing about Buddha ( Not about Buddhism).

Do you think that Buddha was an Atheist?


henry quirk
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Location: here

Total Topics: 47
Total Comments: 1298
#28 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 01/06/12 - 9:37 AM:

I subscribe to an apathetic agnosticism: I don't know and I don't care.
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
#29 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 01/07/12 - 11:29 AM:

henry quirk wrote:
I subscribe to an apathetic agnosticism: I don't know and I don't care.

ha smiling face
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
#30 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 01/07/12 - 11:31 AM:

Thinker wrote:
Do you think that Buddha was an Atheist?

i don't know much about buddha myself. according to some googling, he is commonly referred to as a "nontheist" rather than an atheist. however, i was taught in my college religions class that buddhism is an atheist religion. (sounds paradoxical?) i think buddhists themselves prefer the term nontheist.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#31 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 01/07/12 - 12:11 PM:

libertygrl wrote:

i don't know much about buddha myself. according to some googling, he is commonly referred to as a "nontheist" rather than an atheist. however, i was taught in my college religions class that buddhism is an atheist religion. (sounds paradoxical?) i think buddhists themselves prefer the term nontheist.



Yes. I read long back a quotation by a thinker about Buddha: "There has been no man, so Godless and so Godlike!"
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.



Acknowledgements:

Couch logo design by Midnight_Monk. The photo hanging above the couch was taken by Paul.

Powered by WSN Forum. Free smileys here.
Special thanks to Maria Cristina, Jesse , Echolist Directory, The Star Online,
Hosting Free Webs, and dmoz.org for referring visitors to this site!

Copyright notice:

Except where noted otherwise, copyright belongs to respective authors
for artwork, photography and text posted in this forum.