The Couch

Swan

Comments on Swan

Nancy Drew
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jun 05, 2009
Location: Kiev

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 36

Last Blog:

Posted 06/06/09 - 2:13 AM:
Subject: Swan

Swan
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 06/06/09 - 2:30 AM:

Nancy Drew wrote:

Swan



Beyond description.


Thank You
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
Posted 06/06/09 - 3:11 AM:

another welcome to you Ms. N smiling face

the shape of a heart stands out to me. swans are symbols of transformation (ugly duckling to winged creature of beauty and grace, like caterpillar to butterfly). examining (or admiring?) the armor of one's mask.

brilliant clap
Nancy Drew
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jun 05, 2009
Location: Kiev

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 36

Last Blog:

Posted 06/06/09 - 9:48 AM:

libertygrl wrote:
another welcome to you Ms. N smiling face

the shape of a heart stands out to me.

Me too.

swans are symbols of transformation (ugly duckling to winged creature of beauty and grace, like caterpillar to butterfly).

I cried so terribly as a child when I saw an old reel-to-reel of the Ugly Duckly story, it was a key moment in my childhood.

examining (or admiring?) the armor of one's mask.

Terrible outside (Gorgon/Medusa on armor), beautiful, graceful inside, a surprise.

I'm not sure if it is a transformation, or a simultaneous contradiction; both characters at once, or how it looks from the outside versus the inside...

Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 06/06/09 - 10:00 AM:

Nancy Drew wrote:

I'm not sure if it is a transformation, or a simultaneous contradiction; both characters at once, or how it looks from the outside versus the inside...


Assuming that you are the creator of the piece,isn't it interesting to note that if a creator of an artistic piece isn't sure about the expression, there are many(if not myriads) interpretations possible based on the perspectives of observers?



Thank You
Nancy Drew
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jun 05, 2009
Location: Kiev

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 36

Last Blog:

Posted 06/06/09 - 11:46 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:
Assuming that you are the creator of the piece,isn't it interesting to note that if a creator of an artistic piece isn't sure about the expression, there are many(if not myriads) interpretations possible based on the perspectives of observers?

It looks that way. Someone who had an intended meaning in mind before putting pen to paper might feel differently, and perhaps frustrated too.

It depends on your attitude to symbols also, and to glyphs. Glyph meaning a stick man, or the M that is a bird in the sky, these figures are so suggestive, it would be almost impossible not to recognize the Egyptian hieroglyph that resembles a duck for representing a duck. Likewise with symbols, triangles and butterlies are suggestive.
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
Posted 06/07/09 - 12:00 AM:

i like the frame. it invokes a sense of fairy tale.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
Posted 06/07/09 - 12:14 AM:

Nancy Drew wrote:

It looks that way. Someone who had an intended meaning in mind before putting pen to paper might feel differently, and perhaps frustrated too.


Frustrated because interpreters are doing it wrong way? So,is an artist always creating things for getting feedback from others? What about the ecstatic feeling of triumph when you succeed in portraying according to your own perfection?


Nancy Drew wrote:

It depends on your attitude to symbols also, and to glyphs. Glyph meaning a stick man, or the M that is a bird in the sky, these figures are so suggestive, it would be almost impossible not to recognize the Egyptian hieroglyph that resembles a duck for representing a duck. Likewise with symbols, triangles and butterlies are suggestive.


Indeed they are suggestive and conventional approach squelches the creative,'out of box' interpretation. Still,it is very much possible to encourage more creative ways of interpretation if you remain open while creating( you may have heard of Dali's clocksmiling face )



zenThank Youzen
smokinpristiformis
child of the stars
Avatar

Usergroup: Moderators
Joined: Apr 20, 2005
Location: Belgium

Total Topics: 74
Total Comments: 1247
Posted 06/08/09 - 3:20 AM:

Hello Nancy. Somehow I can't figure it out completely, but maybe that's the charm. I like it nontheless. smiling face
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/08/09 - 3:38 PM:

libertygrl wrote:
i like the frame. it invokes a sense of fairy tale.


How so? What are the details suggesting 'fairy tale'?



Thank You
Nancy Drew
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jun 05, 2009
Location: Kiev

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 36

Last Blog:

#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/08/09 - 7:46 PM:

The frame does make all the difference.

13, I have heard of Dali's clock. There is a lot going on there. When I look at Japanese comics, which are very stylized like Disney, some glyph choices are similar, some are not. This is the issue of choosing universal symbols.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/08/09 - 11:35 PM:

Nancy Drew wrote:
The frame does make all the difference.


How does it do so,what are the details? raised eyebrow


Nancy Drew wrote:

13, I have heard of Dali's clock. There is a lot going on there. When I look at Japanese comics, which are very stylized like Disney, some glyph choices are similar, some are not. This is the issue of choosing universal symbols.


Yes.zen


Thank You
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/08/09 - 11:38 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:
How does it do so,what are the details? raised eyebrow

we put things in a frame that are important to us, things we want to share with others. also, this is not just any frame but one of ornate craftsmanship. it is as if to say, here is a beautiful story waiting to be told.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/09/09 - 12:39 AM:

Thinker13 wrote:
How do you suggest that this very frame is suggestive of a good story while others are not? How do you get the impression? Is it the texture,color,shading or size or something else or many of these collectively?


Edited by libertygrl on 06/09/09 - 5:17 PM. Reason: hit "edit" button instead of "quote" accidentally, lost some of the original text. sorry about that :(
Nancy Drew
Junior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Jun 05, 2009
Location: Kiev

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 36

Last Blog:

#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/09/09 - 4:38 PM:

Like the Dadaists, they put something on a pedestal, in a frame, or signed it, and it became art. This pedestal-ization must be a very old habit or instinct.

Have you ever made a small shrine?

Edited by Nancy Drew on 06/09/09 - 4:45 PM
libertygrl
Administrator
Avatar

Usergroup: Administrators
Joined: Apr 16, 2005
Location: San Francisco

Total Topics: 425
Total Comments: 4672
#16 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/09/09 - 5:15 PM:

Thinker13 wrote:
How do you suggest that this very frame is suggestive of a good story while others are not? How do you get the impression? Is it the texture,color,shading or size or something else or many of these collectively?

many of these collectively, more often than not.

that there is a frame at all distinguishes it to some degree. but the style of the frame is decorated, rather than plain, and the unevenness of the lines suggest that it is hand made. this is a frame that someone has put extra work into. the amount and style of work that someone puts into the frame is a way of indicating what the piece means to that person.

note the difference in these two frames:

www.oppictures.com/SINGLEIM...ES/400/DAXN19881BT_1_1.JPG

www.illusionsgallery.com/Ca...h-frame-Cupids-garden.html

each one has a very different style and suggests a different meaning, together with what is inside the frame.
Thinker13
Senior Member
Avatar

Usergroup: Members
Joined: Apr 27, 2009

Total Topics: 357
Total Comments: 3379
#17 - Quote - Permalink
Posted 06/09/09 - 6:41 PM:

libertygrl wrote:

many of these collectively, more often than not.

that there is a frame at all distinguishes it to some degree. but the style of the frame is decorated, rather than plain, and the unevenness of the lines suggest that it is hand made. this is a frame that someone has put extra work into. the amount and style of work that someone puts into the frame is a way of indicating what the piece means to that person.



Yes,it is what you call 'attention to the details'. It should be a trait 'well refined' in artist along with sensitivity,because details,combined together,present the 'total picture'. Thanks,for taking pains to explain what I was looking forzen.


libertygrl wrote:

note the difference in these two frames:

www.oppictures.com/SINGLEIM...ES/400/DAXN19881BT_1_1.JPG

www.illusionsgallery.com/Ca...h-frame-Cupids-garden.html

each one has a very different style and suggests a different meaning, together with what is inside the frame.



Yes,noticed how different they are. Cupid one suggests a story while the other one seems to be plain.




Thank You
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5



Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.



Acknowledgements:

Couch logo design by Midnight_Monk. The photo hanging above the couch was taken by Paul.

Powered by WSN Forum. Free smileys here.
Special thanks to Maria Cristina, Jesse , Echolist Directory, The Star Online,
Hosting Free Webs, and dmoz.org for referring visitors to this site!

Copyright notice:

Except where noted otherwise, copyright belongs to respective authors
for artwork, photography and text posted in this forum.